[access-uk] Re: Audible questions

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:21:18 +0100

Hi Ray

1.  IPOD Shuffle

This "give -away" is tied to a twelve-month subscription to either of their Audible Listener subscription plans. The cheapest of these gives you an audio book and any magazine subscription for £9.49 a month. The more expensive one would give you any two audio books for £14.99 a month. You don't have to listen to the audio during the month in question, just purchase it an place it in your "My Library" section on the audible website. So if you can find twelve books you would like on audible, it will be worth it if you haven't got a player. If you don't want a player you can join the subscription with no commitment and listen at any time.

Remember if you want to use the Shuffle effectively you will need the ITunes scripts (£30) or the WE setfiles (free, but with less functionality) from Brian Hartgen. I'm sure he can give you more info on all things IPod.

Personally I use the Book Courier for listening to audible files. It's more expensive but completely accessible, plus there is the potential for a lot of storage because it uses compact flash memory, it has great battery life and supports Daisy, mp3 and txt as well.

2.  Proprietary encoding and transfer.

Yes, the encoding is proprietary but in contrast ot some other forms of DrM, you activate the player, rather than each individual file, so once the player is activated to your account, you can play everything that has been downloaded through your account, since what you downloaded is encrypted to your account name. So the upshot is that you can transfer audio to any given device as many times as you want, and you can have three devices associated with each installation of audible manager at any one time, and you can always deactivate a device and replace it with another at any time.

hope some of this helps, get in touch privatley if you have any more questions or need help.

James
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>