[access-uk] Re: Article on open source/user participation

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:38:25 -0000

, Well Christopher, at least you seem to have understood the article or blogg
better than I
did.  I thought that Orca, the free Open Source screen readerbeing refered to
was primarily
a Lynux based dproject but Sun Micro-Systems was also mentioned on a link I
followed.  there
is a suggestion there may be a version/compilation that runs under Windows
though.

Maybe someone on BCT or Main Menu will pick up on it if Orca can run under
Windows.  As
someone on the blogg said, people have to know about it before they even try it.

I was interested, and more than a little amuzed, by the guy who seemed to say
no more would
he want to upset the status quo in Access tech provision than the model of
health care in
the U S.  Really?  I'd imagine quite a few Americans might have another opinion
on that!  In
fact the American take on this is interesting in itself and some of the
assertions about how
folk there get their access tech.  It seemed to be said that most get it via
Federal or
other sources of funding, including charity.  I know that in many cases if you
do get access
tech through a charity in the U S they will dictate which screen reader you
use.  Think
we've been there before.  Also though I know quite a few Americans actually do
fork out from
their own pockets for screen readers and other devices.

Having taken some space giving my thoughts, I hope someone comes up with more
concreet
information on Orca and how it performs.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx