[access-uk] Re: An excellent little talking travel alarm clock

  • From: "Annabel" <annabel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 23:40:37 +0100

Thanks for this detailed information, |John. I've just ordered one from Ebay on your recommendation.

Annabell.

-----Original Message----- From: John Wilson
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:09 PM
To: Access UK
Subject: [access-uk] An excellent little talking travel alarm clock

Hello All,

I thought I'd let you know about this alarm clock I just
bought from Ebay for only £2.99 plus £1.00 postage.

It's called a Reflex Talking Alarm Clock and seems to have
the same (or similar) speech chip in it to the RNIB talking
alarm clock which costs £8.99.

It is significantly smaller than the RNIB clock, being only
about 3.5 by 2.5 by 0.75 inches in size. It takes 2 AAA
batteries and runs happily on rechargeables. It has a
reasonable sized display and lettering. It has a cover over
the buttons and screen which slides to one side to reveal
them and let a small stand spring out from the back, which
is to prop it up at an angle, if you wish this. The
batteries are easy to install and simply go under a sliding
compartment at one end.

It has four easy to feel oblong buttons along the bottom
where the display is. The left-most button is the mode
button and beeps once when you are in set clock mode, twice
when in set alarm mode and three times when back to standard
talk mode. When in these modes, the second and third buttons
act as hour and minute advancing buttons.

When in standard talk mode, you use the second button to
choose from three different alarm sounds - one coocoo and
two of them musical tunes - and to turn it to off. The third
button then acts as a turn on or off the hourly report
feature.

The last, right-most button is the play button to hear the
current time. If you hold this button down for a few
seconds, it will say the time and then tell you which alarm
sound is selected.

After you have set either the clock or alarm times, the unit
automatically goes back to standard talk mode without you
having to do this.

The clock, when closed up, is easily small enough to fit
into a jacket or trousers pocket, for those who do not like
wearing wrist watches.

All in all, for the price, this is an excellent little
clock.

John.