[access-uk] Re: A couple of questions on windows 7

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 10:49:32 +0100

"Is there a cost to upgrade from Vista home premium to windows 7?..."

Although things are rolling on not all the questions are yet answered.
Specifically at the moment upgrade pricing as I recall is not announced
although it will certainly be the case that it will be a chargeable
upgrade, perhaps much to the shagrin of some VISTA detractors.  When you
do upgrade you will upgrade from like to like edition, that is if you
have VISTA home preumium you will only be able to upgrade to a like
Windows 7 license.  Of course once you have done that you could then use
anytime upgrade and go to ultimate if you so wished, this much is
already known.

Operationally Windows 7 is cleaner but it is a cleaned up VISTA not a
wholey new thing or a wind the clock back to XP.  On that front there is
no "Classic mode" it is gone.  Windows 7 does seem to be more stable,
however that does not mean that someone won't have their problems with
it but it has definitely benefited on much refinement behind the scenes
and in the UI department.  Upgraders I think will be many on the basis
that if your PC runs VISTA at all well then Windows 7 should really do
well on the same machine.

I should imagine that all the Access Tech developers are looking at this
O/S, their problem will be trying to run in sync with the schedule.
Hardly anyone thinks it will be as long as Q1 2010 but Microsoft have
not offered a date late October/November or perhaps earlier as some have
said, everyone is guessing.  I certainly know that the AT developers we
have relationships with are already at work on builds for the new O/S.
I think it is unlikely that present versions of software will be
officially sanctioned with Windows 7 even though they sometimes do
appear to work after a fashion.

In essence Windows 7 looks like a good news story waiting to happen,
though perhaps given the current climate there is really much more to
play for than Microsoft had ever anticipated when it was first planned.
If this O/S can run on reasonably cheap hardware then that can only help
Microsoft go a bit further in the low cost computing market.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road