[acbny-l] Re: nys college instructional materials access bill

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <acbny-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:14:07 -0400

Hello Mike and others,

You are correct In stating that this bill contains language that can be
interpretted in many different ways.  We worked with the bill till the =
last
possible moment to ensure that it can be made less so.  Within the six
months it will take the bill to go into effect, there will be a =
regulatory
phase, which, in my opinion, will turn out to be quite significant.  =
When
designed, the bill followed the provisions of the California law.  Once =
the
bill has been signed, the advocacy will become more significant than =
ever.
I am my office will ensure that the ambiguities in the language are =
resolved
for the benefit of students with disabilities.

The major problem with the legislation, as it currently stands, is that =
it
only applies to public education and the entities that provide public
education.  Private and independent colleges do not, at this time, =
benefit
from the provisions of this bill.  We are eager to work with the private =
and
independent college co-olitions to resolve this matter during the next
legislative cycle.

The other significant problem with the legislation is that it uses the
phrase "comprable costs" rather than "same cost", which might mean that
students might end up paying more for the accessible books.  However, as =
mentioned, the regulatory phase is going to be as significant as the
legislative phase.  These are only a few problems.

I encourage any comments, questions or suggestions that you might have
regarding this issue.

Pratik

Pratik Patel
Managing Director