[acbny-l] Fw: Voter Coal Mtg: Thursday, July 31st

  • From: "Mike Godino" <mikeg125@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ACBNY" <acbny-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:02:43 -0400

HI ACBNY Members,
As for the Voting question I asked several times, I will be attending the
meeting listed below to again ask the question.  This is the group of people in
the know I asked the question last month.  hopefully they can answer it this
month.  Yes John, these are the Lawyers and election officials I believe you
mentioned in your last post.  I certainly hope they have some answers.
If anyone is interested in attending the meeting listed below, please feel
free.  The meeting are open to all and most of them are crowded, so I suggest
you come early and be sure to get involved.

Mike Godino

Dear Colleagues,
The next meeting of the Citywide Coalition for Voter Participation will be
Thursday, July 31st at 3pm at the offices of the Community Service Society at
105 E. 22nd St., (at the corner of Park Ave. South) in the fourth floor
conference room.  We hope you'll join us.

This should be a most interesting meeting.  Topics/agenda items include:

  a..  John Ravitz, the new Executive Director of the NYC Board of Elections
will attend to give a brief presentation and take questions.
  b.. Get ready to join the debate!  We'll follow-up to the Coalition's forum
on new voting machines and try and come to a joint position on whether new
machines should be required to provide 'voter-verified audit trails.'
  c.. Voter ID checks are coming.  We'll go over the Implementation status of
the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) and it's mandate for ID checks and other
changes to state election law and how the coalition can continue to weigh in.
We hope to see you there.  Please feel free to invite other organizations to
attend.
Neal, Gene & Rachel

(Please note: meetings are not open to members of the media, partisan campaigns
or elected officials/staff.  The closest subway is the 23rd Street stop on the
#6 train.  The M1,2 & 3 stop nearby.   If you're interested in reading a bit
about the audit trail issue before the meeting, there are a number of sites out
there on the internet.  Here's two sites to start with (pro & con):
http://holt.house.gov/issues2.cfm?id=5996
http://www.lwv.org/where/promoting/votingrights_hava_drevm.html )

-- Neal Rosenstein --
Government Reform Coordinator
The New York Public Interest Research Group, NYPIRG
9 Murray Street, 3rd Floor   New York, NY  10007
Phone: (212) 349-6460  Fax: (212) 349-1366
nrosenstein@xxxxxxxxxx    www.nypirg.org