[56raf_firebirds] Re: Zoom

  • From: "klem56" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "klem56" for DMARC)
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 07:47:43 +0100

I use Quick Zoom 2 and Max which reset when I release the button. I also have view reset which used to reset the variable zoom and TrackIR before I got the VR headset and now recentres the VR if I need it.

klem

On 16/06/2020 11:26, Rob (Redacted sender robinhj for DMARC) wrote:

How many of 56 fly with a continuously variable zoom?  What I mean is that up until now I have had zoom set on my hat switch so if I push it up it increases zoom until it reaches max or I stop pressing up and then it stays at that increased zoom until I press down to reduce it again.

Watching Colin's video as well as flying on Sunday and finding it was better to keep my zoom in the middle as much as possible and only zoom for a few seconds at a time made me realise that maybe what I have been doing was not ideal. Being zoomed out below the middle is not very good for searching for targets and a continuously variable zoom means it is fiddly to reset to a constant mid point. I have now set it to use the new settings introduced for VR players so pressing UP gives me Max zoom but only as long as I hold it Up and the same for Down to get max FOV for those occasions where you need to quickly & temporarily see as much sky as possible.
I think I started using variable zoom because in the early IL2, using buttons to zoom made it 'flick' to full zoom and sometimes that made  it hard to correlate what you see zoomed in against what you saw in the wide view ie you might see a contact and zoom in and miss it but not know which way to look to bring it back into your view. A similar problem to trying to find a particular star in a telescope which is why they often use a spotter scope as well.

If anyone is unsure of what the new settings are (they are buried in the patch notes) then Max Zoom is RCTL KP'.' and Min Zoom is RCTL KP'0' with three intermediate zooms at RCTL KP 1,2 & 3.

Rob