[56raf_firebirds] Re: Book recommendation

  • From: 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 21:47:50 +0100

I should have added that he flew Beauforts, first from Egypt, then Malta. Not an aircraft we're familiar with.
56RAF_phoenix

On 09/07/18 21:42, 56RAF_phoenix wrote:

While in Sleima, Malta and having left my book behind, I bought/Torpedo Leader on Malta/, by Patrick Gibbs.

What an excellent account (I seem to remember someone else, Roblex or Stickz?) mentioned it some time ago)!

They always attacked from front or astern to minimise flak - which amazed me.

It was written during the war rather than afterwards and has an immediacy similar to First Light. He was also a leader who made sure his crews didn't risk too much for too little. Mostly lacking the bombast of so many fighter jock books.

56RAF_phoenix