[30daysv3] Day 10 - Ice Skater learned!

  • From: Kristofer Bergstrom <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 30daysV3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:27:05 -0700

Today we finish learning Ice Skater.  I think you'll agree... once
this drill sinks in, it feels really good to play!  It's also very
useful.  Here's why...

When we play alternating hits quickly (RLRLRLRL), we call this a
"single-stroke roll".  Most of us right-handed players can play a
right-leading single-stroke roll -- RLRLRLRL -- faster than a
left-leading one, LRLRLRLR.  Is this true for you too?  Think about it
for a moment... the hands are technically doing the same thing -
alternating one after the next.  The top speed should be the same,
right?

The difference between the two is that in the second version, our
non-dominant hand is starting the pattern and in line with the pulse
of the pattern.  Amazingly, this subtle difference is enough to reduce
our brain's maximum speed with our non-dominant hand.  The Ice Skater
drill tackles this discrepancy by alternating the hands frequently.
The left and right hands take turns leading the roll and the downbeat
falls on either hand in succession.  The way the drill gradually adds
in more "in-between" hits helps our brains figure out how to add these
hits without slowing down the other hand.

Kris