[24hoursupport] Re: virus HOAX! - PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT - NOW

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 21:53:16 -0700

George
It is on everyones machine.
it is annother HOAX.
Christy reported it last month;
~~~
Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax

Reported April 12/2002

Reference urls:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe
.file.hoax.html
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99436.htm
http://www.europe.f-secure.com/hoaxes/jdbgmgr.shtml

This is a hoax that, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning
hoax, tries to persuade you to delete a legitimate
Windows file from your computer. The file that the
hoax refers to, Jdbgmgr.exe, is a Java Debugger
Manager. It is a Microsoft file that is installed
when you install Windows.

It has a teddy bear icon as described in the hoax:

CAUTION: Jdbgmgr.exe, like any file, can become
infected by a virus. One virus in particular,
W32.Efortune.31384@mm, targets this file. Norton
AntiVirus has provided protection against
W32.Efortune.31384@mm since May 11, 2001.

NOTE: If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe
file, some Java applets may not run correctly. This
is not a critical system file. The file version may
vary with your operating system and version of
Internet Explorer. If you want to restore the file,
please contact Microsoft for instructions.

Hoax message
This hoax has appeared in several languages. Some are
as follows:

English
I found the little bear in my machine because of that
I am sending this message in order for you to find it
in your machine. The procedure is very simple:

The objective of this e-mail is to warn all Hotmail
users about a new virus that is spreading by MSN
Messenger. The name of this virus is jdbgmgr.exe and
it is sent automatically by the Messenger and by the
address book too. The virus is not detected by McAfee
or Norton and it stays quiet for 14 days before
damaging the system.

The virus can be cleaned before it deletes the files
from your system. In order to eliminate it, it is
just necessary to do the following steps:
1. Go to Start, click "Search"
2.- In the "Files or Folders option" write the name
jdbgmgr.exe
3.- Be sure that you are searching in the drive "C"
4.- Click "find now"
5.- If the virus is there (it has a little bear-like
icon with the name of jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN IT FOR
ANY REASON
6.- Right click and delete it (it will go to the
Recycle bin)
7.- Go to the recycle bin and delete it or empty the
recycle bin.

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS IN ALL OF YOUR SYSTEMS SEND
THIS MESSAGE TO ALL OF YOUR CONTACTS LOCATED IN YOUR
ADDRESS BOOK BEFORE IT CAN CAUSE ANY DAMAGE.

~*~*~*~*~
To subscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virushelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe.

~~~~
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
<virusinfo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

On 12/05/2002 at 2:43 PM George Cham wrote:

I have just received a message from Jacqui in Perth....  She has found this
on her PC...  AND I HAVE FOUND IT ON MINE.....

This virus stays quiet for 14 days before damaging the system it is called
jdbgmgr.exe - IT IS NOT DETECTED BY Norton of McAfee antivirus systems.

It is sent automatically by the Messenger and by the address book, whether
OR NOT you sent e-mails to your contacts.  I have checked my pc, found it
and deleted it.  PLEASE CHECK YOUR PC AS WELL.

1. Go to Start, Find or Search option
2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search in your C: drive
4. Click "find now"
5. The virus has a little bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe
DO NOT OPEN IT
6. Right click and delete it (it will then go to the Recycle Bin)
7. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well, or empty the bin.

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK
AND FORWARD THIS TO THEM SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS
BOOKS.

George

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at