[24hoursupport] more latency or more buffer?

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 30 Dec 2007 01:51:17 -0000

I like to run multiple EIDE hard drives as cloned backups of my OS, kept
disconnected for emergency backup restore. I've got two identical EIDE Western
Digital 80 gig, 7200 rpm HDs, one to run on and one as a disconnected back up
clone. I want to get a third WD of 80 gigs or greater for a second back up.

Here is a page of WD drives;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014+50001306+1035907789&name=IDE+Ultra+ATA100

I think 7200 rpm is best overall here, and I see here that there is one 16 MB
buffer drive with a slower 5.5 ms average latency, while the rest on the page
have 8mb buffer or less but a faster 4.2 ms average latency.

Should I go for the higher buffer and slower latency, or faster latency and
less buffer?

Protect yourself from spam,
use http://sneakemail.com
--
** Remove the anti-virus footer, ads, and this line and everything below when
replying **

please see //www.freelists.org/webpage/24hoursupport