[1stPickSites] The Universe Within

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stPickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:14:44 -0700

 Florida State University, in Tallahassee, has put up a very interesting
page on their website.

It begins as a view of the Milky Way Galaxy viewed from a distance of 10
million light years and then zooms in towards Earth in powers of ten.   10
million, to one million, to 100,000 light years, and then it finally
reaches a large Oak tree.

Once you click on the site, the software does all the work.  Sit back  and
imagine how perfect our universe is!  You can play it forward and  backward
to be amazed over and over.  At the end it says AUTO...click on  that and
review the process in reverse!

Secret Worlds: The Universe Within
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html
Requires - Java
View the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then move through
space towards the Earth in successive orders of magnitude until you reach a
tall oak tree just outside the buildings of the National High Magnetic Field
Laboratory in Tallahassee, Florida. After that, begin to move from the actual
size of a leaf into a microscopic world that reveals leaf cell walls, the cell
nucleus, chromatin, DNA and finally, into the subatomic universe of electrons
and protons.

Mike the mod

***

~*~*~*~*~