[1stPickSites] (12/05/06) The Beethoven Experience

  • From: "Christy" <snowy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:02:37 -0500

The Beethoven Experience

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethoven/index.shtml

Today's site from the BBC celebrates its homage to Beethoven with
essays, information and music of this towering composer of the
Romantic period.  Readers may enjoy the  offering of all nine
symphonies available for free download but only for a limited
time.

"Goethe [observed]:'A more-self-contained, energetic, sincere
artist I never saw. ... His talent amazed me; unfortunately he is
an utterly untamed personality' ... . All the symphonies are
performed by BBC Philharmonic, conducted by Gianandrea Noseda." -
from the website

The site features a list of Beethoven's complete works with brief
critical annotations, a three-part essay on "Beethoven the
Revolutionary" -- the
man, the politics and the music; and a timeline. As for the
downloads, in MP3 format, symphonies 1 through 5 are currently
available, with the
remaining works scheduled to be placed online by early July. Each
symphony is accompanied by the introduction used for its original
BBC broadcast.

~*~*~*~*~
to 1stpicksites-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info 1stpicksites" without the