[1stPickSites] (12/01/05) Answers.com

  • From: "Christy" <snowy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:03:24 -0500

Answers.com

http://www.answers.com/

Today's site offers a new approach to tracking down information
by retrieving material from reliable sources stored within its
own databases.  Readers requiring fast answers on specific topics
may find this approach to be a handy reference tool.

"Answers.com is a free, ad-supported, reference search service,
created to provide you with instant answers on over a million
topics. As opposed to standard search engines that serve up a
list of links for you to follow, Answers.com displays quick,
snapshot answers with concise, reliable information. Our editors
take our content from over 100 authoritative encyclopedias,
dictionaries, glossaries and atlases, carefully chosen for
breadth and quality. ... The best definitions and explanations
for over 1 million topics."  - from the website

Among the reference sources used at the site are the The American
Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, from Houghton
Mifflin; WordNet, from Princeton University; and Wikipedia, The
Free Online Encyclopedia.  Additional citations to a topic or
word may be included under the "Mentioned In" heading. A useful
audio pronunciation guide requiring Apple Quicktime, is included
in the initial reference. The homepage also features a daily
spotlight on famous birthdays; a particular topic, with a related
word of the day; and the daily top five clicks.

~*~*~*~*~
to 1stpicksites-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info 1stpicksites" without the
quotes.