[1stPickSites] (07/12/04) The International Dateline

  • From: "Christy" <snowy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:10:35 -0400

The International Dateline

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/international_date.html

"The International Date Line is the imaginary line on the Earth
that separates two consecutive calendar days. That is the date in
the Eastern hemisphere, to the left of the line, is always one
day ahead of the date in the Western hemisphere. It has been
recognized as a matter of convenience and has no force in
international law." - from the website

The site, with its useful diagrammed map, explains the purpose of
the "dateline", the historical background, the reasons for its
particular position on the globe and its odd configuration.

~*~*~*~*~
to 1stpicksites-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info 1stpicksites" without the
quotes.