[1stPickPCHelp] security features

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:51:51 -0800

Here is a good page on security features I came across.

http://members.accessbee.com/mitch/PhantomPhixer.html

All the info here is safe , my earlier version was at Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Support Forum. The info here, has been updated and links checked and
verified on this site, with over 50,000 views , it works and you will be
safer.

NOTE to Spybot S & D users
some versions of their software will show a false positive for C2LOP if you
bookmark my site, it is fixed with the latest upgrade, BUT YOU MUST UNDO the
immunize before the update! this is their official site and one of my post
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=18806
It is FIXED as of mid Nov.

Phantoms_Finds
this is a new page with a site that i think is intresting/usefull/deals with
security/educational/or fun,
a ongoing "work in progress page"

IE and OE settings
 français ici

This will make Internet Explorer and Outlook Express safe for the web.
Remember Windows makes it easy, not safe! You will get system popups because
Windows "knows what is best for you" so you might loosen up the settings a
bit, but loosen up security at the same time.

XP settings
 français ici

This will make XP play nice. Some are security and others are basic tweaks
and make it run a little faster and stop some of the annoyances.

Newbie and Oldie's list

This is the true "Gold Mine". A nice list and info on several programs to
make the internet safer. FREE programs. All on this list are safe and work
on your system.
You need:
1. firewall... two on the list(free)
2. anti-virus... two on the list (free)
3. anti spyware... several. I recommend: Ad-Aware, Spyblaster, IE-Spyad, and
others but if you install these 3 and keep them current you are really
secure. But remember if you manually download, you can get things you don't
want ;-)
4. then, info and list on Safe Mode, Cookie managers, Popup stoppers,
checking out firewalls, and other goodies...
5.Anti-Spyware gone bad...a rogue list

How did I get infected?.... an article by TonyK

++ There is more on the web site.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the
quotes.

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe