[1stPickPCHelp] Re: Zonealarm pro

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:41:47 -0600

>Hello. Using the lastest version of ZApro, is there a setting with this
>firewall or does this firewall support blocking the transmission of
>personal information?
>
>Also, are there any other programs that does this? Thanks. (WinME OS)

Hello Donald,

Firewalls do not block transmission of specific information. That just isn't
what a firewall does. The firewall doesn't care what information is received or
transmitted, it only cares if the transmission is allowed through or not
according to the rules that are set up for it.

In the case of ZoneAlarm Pro, the functionality of the firewall has been added
to so that it can be set to block specific things such as pop-up ads and
cookies. You can block the transmission of some personal information by
blocking cookies, but that won't stop it all.

I am not aware of any software that does specifically what you're asking for,
assuming by personal information you mean things like name, address, phone
number, social security number, credit card numbers, etc. You have to enter
those things into various programs if you want to use them, or on various web
sites if you want to do business with them. When you do that, you don't want
the data blocked. What you're looking for, if I understand the question, is
something that will keep that kind of data from being transmitted without your
knowledge. The only way I know of to do that is to be keenly aware of what
programs you have entered that kind of data into on your computer, and then not
allowing those programs access to the Internet through your firewall without
alerting you. You also need to be mindful of the many ways that Trojans can get
on your system so that no hacker can get access to data stored on your machine
that way. Never, ever transmit personal data via email and never over a
non-secure connection. If you maintain a reasonable level of routine security
(properly configured firewall, up to date anti-virus, up to date anti-Trojan)
and follow safe computing practices, your data should remain pretty private.

HTH,

Ron

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the