[1stPickPCHelp] USB2 PCI Card - Problems

  • From: "David" <david.pritchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:09:36 +0100

Hi,

I've installed an Intex 4 port USB card. It's PCI, Spec 2.2. The
installation was straight forward but I can't seem to get proper
functionality from the card.

The main reason for upgrading to USB2 was that I have been transferring data
from my laptop to a PC (The laptop is USB2 and the PC USB1) via an Aten USB2
Data-Link cable (Model UN-201). The transfer rate being throttled to suit
the USB1 was appallingly slow. So now I've 2 systems with USB2 and,
potentially, a much higher transfer rate.

The problem I am now having is that when the Aten cable is plugged in to the
PC USB2 port an XP bubble appears advising the USB device is malfunctioning.
I have also had the same message when plugging in a USB2 Pen drive. However,
when I plug in my Logitec cordless mouse receiver/transmitter it recognises
it instantly and works fine. If I immediately switch the Aten cable to the
PC's USB1 socket, it works fine straight away as does the Pen drive.

I've uninstalled the USB2 card, removed all system drivers for the card and
the Aten cable and reinstalled the card then the Aten cable using the USB2
socket but still I cant get it or the Pen drive to work (the Pen drive has
no drivers).

The only correlation I can see is that the Logitec kit is fairly old and
USB1 and the other items are USB2. Am I right in drawing the conclusion that
the USB2 card is only functioning with USB1 kit and that it won't work when
kit is USB2 despite the card being a USB2 upgrade?

Apart from the card being faulty, am I missing something?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Regards,

David.

System: