[1stPickPCHelp] Re: IE 6 question

  • From: bls <brenna_99_ca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:17:53 -0800 (PST)

I don't know if you can get the browser AND the
updates in the same download.  Personally, I wouldn't
advise downloading the browser unless you have a fast
internet connection.  Too many things can and do go
wrong during lengthy downloads, such as IE 6 would
probably require.  If you are in Canada or the U.S.,
you can order the CD for only the cost of shipping,
which for me was $10 Cdn.  Not a bad deal for a
non-corrupted browser.  Plus, if the computer caves in
for some reason, you've got the CD and you don't have
to do the whole lousy download thing again.:)

I found IE 6 to be more stable than 5.5 (although
other people have found the reverse to be true).  IE 6
has print preview, which I like.  I think there are
better privacy features as well re what you choose to
do with cookies.  IE 5.5 has, I believe, java Virtual
Machine included, although I don't know offhand what
version.  It will be outdated, anyway.  IE 6 does not
include java at all.  If you already have MS VM,
you'll just stay with that version, or you could use
Sun's java.  I, personally, had problems with Sun's
java, but that was probably just my bad luck.

When IE 6 crashes, the error message is more polite.:)
 It tells you IE has encountered a problem and needs
to close, and you then have the option of viewing the
technical information, as well as sending an error
report to MS.  Once, MS popped up a window in response
telling me my version of flash was outdated and was
known to cause the error such as the one I had had,
and I was directed to a site to download an updated
version.  In a way, I found the polite version less
helpful, because I want to know if it's an invalid
page fault or something worse, requiring a reboot.
Maybe if it was something more, I would get the usual
MS error message.  I don't know, it hasn't happened
yet.:)

IE 6 is the most stable browser I've used thus far,
and I've tried 5.1, 5.5, Netscape 4.3, 4.7, and 6.1,
as well as Opera.  The only non-MS browser I could use
was 4.3, the rest were a disaster in my computer.  I
just wish MS would come up with one that was a little
more secure.  I'm sick to death of worrying about
loopholes and then worrying more about the buggy
patches to close the loopholes.

Hope that helps.:)

Brenna

--- Donald Scarlett <donald5242@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello. Is it possible to download IE6 and all the
> security updates to date in one whole download?
> Also, what's the difference between IE6 and IE5.5?
> Thanks.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the
quotes.

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe