[1stPickPCHelp] Re: Browser privacy

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:30:53 -0800

Hi Donald,
The best security is obtained using a combination of Router, Firewall, and
IE security settings.

My computer passes the various stealth test using the highest settings for
Zone Alarm free, and IE6.

Here is a good article on IE security;
IE security settings
http://www.astalavista.com/privacy/library/jansson/safeie.shtml
How to make the settings on your Internet Explorer safe
Here is an example about safe settings for Internet Explorer:

* General / settings / every visit to page

* General / days to keep history / 0

* Security / internet / ALL active-X -disable, cookies that are stored to
your computer -disable, per-session cookies -disable, Java permissions -
high safety, Installation of desktop items -disable, Launching programs and
files in in a IFRAME -disable, Software channel permissions - high safety,
Userdata persistance - disabled, Active Scripting - disabled, User
authentication -prompt for user name / password.

* Security / Trusted Sites / download unsigned active-X -prompt, Initialize
and script ActiveX content not market safe for scripting -prompt, Java
permissions -high security, Installation of desktop items -prompt, Software
channel permissions -high safety, User data persistance -disable, User
autentications -prompt for user name / password.

* Content / autocomplete -disable ALL (remember to clear both passwords and
forms NOW)

* Advanced / disable following: Install on demand, Offline items to be
synchronized, Use inline autocomplete, Profile assistant, Fortezza, PCT.

* Advanced / Make sure you have the following enabled: Disable script
debugging, Use http1.1, JIT complier for virtual machine, Check for
publishers certificate revocation, Check for server certificate revocation,
Do not save encrypted pages to disk, Empty temporary internet files when
browser is closed, SSL3, TLS, Warn about invalid site certificates, Warn if
forms submittal is being redirected.

TIP: You can add sites where you REALLY need cookies, Javascript or ActiveX
to your "trusted sites"
~~~~

See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techsupportalliance/

On 27/11/2002 at 5:07 PM Donald Scarlett wrote:

Hello. How would I go about preventing my browser from releasing infomation
about the site I last visited to other web sites or my web browsing
history?

I know about cleaning out the cache and history afterwards but how do I go
about doing this during the time I'm on the 'net? Thanks.

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the
quotes.

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe