Re: Generic Connectivity

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 05:48:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Quick list I've experienced with GC:

1) Hung connections (across DB link) cause cursors to
be leaked, eventually exceeding cursor limits.

2) Generic does not handle 'every' ODBC syntax and the
errors are not graceful. Some syntax errors can hang
the Oracle GC server processes.

3) Each DB link must be configured separately,
requiring DB bounce. The configurations are complex.
So if you need to add/drop connections frequently
it requires some major work.

4) The GC DB links were not robust if the target DB
was unavailable. Things that hung on the DB links
tended to require DB bounce to recover use of the DB
link. Using trial and error (CTD) I was able to
discover new ways to use DBMS_SESSION to flush db link
connections and 'somewhat' recover things. Least fun
part.

5) Sybase ASA target DB table and column names are not
all caps, requiring unique Oracle quoting
"TargetTable" in SQL syntax. My target DB was Sybase
Adaptive Server Anywhere (ASA 6.0).

6) Required (UNIX/LINUX) ODBC configurations and
technology that was difficult to assemble, and in some
cases cost $$$. Data Direct and Sybase Support were
our saviours.

Summary, its not easy to setup and maintain GC to
every type of target database. But, the price is
right. :-)

This is one of those features its nice to experiment
and learn about first, just to understand the pain.
Once its working, it was rewarding to see Sybase data
in real-time via Oracle.

An alternative might be to use an ETL tool and pump
major portions of data on a schedule into Oracle.

HTH

Regards,

Mike Thomas

--- Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>