[opendtv] Re: CGMS-A issues (was: HDMI issues)

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:00:16 +0100

Hello,
My thanks to Bert and Kilroy and Gary for digging into the facts.

Gary wrote:
> For CGMS-A, the set top is supposed to assert one of the following in
line 21
> (the XDS bits IIRC)

In Europe it is a different line. The information is carried in a similar
way as the widescreen signalling bits, but the result is the same:

> 0 - Copying_Is_Permitted_Without_Restriction
> 1 - No_Further_Copying_Permitted
> 2 - One_Generation_Of_Copies_May_Be_Made
> 3 - No_Copying_Is_Permitted

> And your PVR or DVD recorder is supposed to obey all this nonsense,
assuming
> it didn't get accidentally turned off when you made it region free...

What I have heard is:
- Philips DVD/HDD recorders faithfully obey the CGMS-A flags, and
- some programs are indeed transmitted with "No_Copying_Is_Permitted".
So I have read some complaints by very surprised consumers on the
internet.

Let it be known that I am not against copy protection. And I understand
why Disney protects its very expensive tapes (and DVDs). But this will
lead to the situation that you can not even timeshift a program anymore.

Timeshifting is caching, which is not the same as copying. The program is
typically stored on the harddisk in such a way that it can not (easily)
be extracted from it (by a PC) and burned on a DVD. So it is a cache copy.

It can not live outside the recorder. (If everything is well..)

A cache copy should not be seen as a real copy. If caching were forbidden
then all Internet Providers would be sued for caching peer-to-peer traffic

and thus distributing copyrighted content. But they are exempted.

The least that they (we) could allow is some sort of self-destruct
mechanism,
where a "No_Copying_Is_Permitted" program is automatically deleted after
having been viewed. Or after so many hours or days of being stored.
Whatever.

This DVDR3300H always records first to the hard disk, and then you can
make a copy to DVD. I know that if it receives a "
One_Generation_Of_Copies_
May_Be_Made" program, then when you copy it to a DVD the original on the
hard disk is automatically deleted. And the copy will probably be marked
"No_Further_Copying_Permitted". Fair enough.

Fair enough ? "One Generation of Copies" is not the same as "One Copy" !
This already seems to be a mis-interpretation of the Rules.

But why can't we have some sort of exception for a temporary cache copy on

the hard disk for a "No_Copying_Is_Permitted" program ? Surely we do not
want to be denied the joy of timeshifting ?! Are there similar issues with

the Broadcast Flag in the USA ? How is the acceptance by the public ?

Best regards,
-- Jeroen