[zalzala] Fwd: Earthquake resistant Home in Chakama Valley, Pakistan

  • From: pakistan@xxxxxxxx
  • To: ZALzala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:30:30 -0400

Just received this most interesting news from Javaid Sultan. He talked a lot and it looks like things are happening!! Barry Hoffman

On Aug 3, 2006, at 2:47 PM, Javed Sultan wrote:

Hi Barry:
I don't know if you got this update earlier.
This is a house I built up in the mountains in Kashmir over a 3 week ( started Jun 25- 85% complete by July 15) period using a proprietary technology, patent pending. It has 3 rooms, Kitchen and toilet. It is insulated, has rain harvesting feature - for drinking water and grey water, and warm water provision thru passive solar energy. The last two items are a first in this region. The price is about half of conventional masonry structure - and takes 1/3rd the time. It is seismic resistant - to highest anticipated levels of earthquake. It allows people to contribute sweat equity ( 70% labor is unskilled) so is good for third world where active employment is a problem. I built this for an international organization. This picture was taken when the project was 85% complete - as of 10 days ago or so - and was built for some orphan kids who lost their parents in the earthquake. Plastering, painting remained at that time and now it has been completed. I am hoping to open self help centers in each village where we hope to teach people how to build. I have also started a program supporting widows who cannot work - injured or have small children. $50/ month is adequate to help one mother out. Please pass the word and see if people are interested in helping. I am hoping my next stops will be India, Nepal and other seismic countries.

Sincerely,

Javed Sultan
SARID Inc.
www.sarid.net: <http://www.sarid.net/>
781-266-6035

<cid:DEBE0DAF-517C-4681-90EE-13C6551E8276@local>

in the Subject field
Please do not send redundant or SPAM to the list, else you will be blocked
and/or removed from the list.
Comments/questions email moderator: zalzala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx