[yunqa.de] Regular cleanup needed for SQLite databases?

  • From: Tobias Rapp <t.rapp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:25:35 +0100

Hello!

I recently had the case that the MS Access database file of one program
became "fragmented": It contained less than 5 rows but still was over 10
Megabytes in file size and insert/delete of rows took more than 4 seconds.
Finally it was necessary to replace the database file with a new, unused
instance to get rid of the performance problems.

I plan to change the database engine from MS Access to SQLite now. Is this
something that can happen to (DI)SQLite database files, too? Do I need to
regulary perform some clean-up maintenance on it? My application is running
24h/7days a week and using the database file for persistence of running jobs
(that is amount of rows is low but amount of insert/update/deletes is high).

Regards,
Tobias