[yunqa.de] Re: DISqlite demos

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:33:47 +0200

Tobias Rapp wrote:

>I'd like to balance the discussion by putting the weight on the opposite side:
>I appreciate that some of the demos that come with DISqlite are console
>applications. Not because my programs are running as console applications but
>it keeps the demo smaller and the sequence is more obvious.

This describes exactly why I choose console demos in the first place.

>Take the "DISQLite3_Bind_Params" for example. The main code is just one file.
>Would it be a form then the project would consist of at least three files
>(*.dpr, *.pas, *.dfm). If the project would use different buttons for "Open
>Database", "Begin Transaction", "Insert Data" and "End Transaction" then the
>sequence of execution would be hidden in separate on-button-click event
>handlers (if there is just one "Run" button what is the difference to the
>console application then?).

This is just what I like about the console, too. I often use it to sketch up
new concepts without adding controls and click buttons during testing. Then I
slowly move code out of the main *.dpr into separate units as much as possible.
As things mature, I start coding the GUI, based on the separate units. In the
end, both the GUI and the console share the same separate unts. DISQLite3 is
good in this sense as it works well with both GUI and console applications.

Back to the demos, however. Thinking it over, I realize that good demos pick
people up at familiar places and guide them along unknown paths safely. I
assumed that the console is such a familiar place. While this is true for some,
I am learning that the GUI is more familiar to others.

Over time, I will go through the demos again to simplify the code, add more
comments where appropriate, and more GUI as well.

>My only suggestion would be that there should be one ore more console
>application examples that demonstrates the usage of the API via the
>tDiSQLite3Database and tDiSQLite3Statement object wrappers (as I personally
>prefer the more "Delphi-style" wrappers to the "C-style" native functions).

Will do. If you have some ideas or code semi-ready, I would be glad ifi you
would share it and I could extend it for you.