[yshavurah] Fw: from JAT

  • From: "Len Kramer" <lenkramer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:34:44 -0400

All - given others are doing this, I thought I'd contribute...

Len

  SCOPE: Global  Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002
  From: Avraham SOFFER

  I admit it: The only reason I attended the April 20
  pro-Palestinian rally in Washington, D.C., was to cause
  trouble. Put 50,000 fundamentalist Muslims, angry
  Arab-Americans, '60s-liberal leftovers and tie-dyed,
  20-something neo-hippies in the same place, and the
  comedy
  potential is too great to pass up. So on Saturday
  morning, I
  parked my car a safe distance away and strolled toward
  the
  Washington Monument. The first thing I noticed was that I
  had been the victim of false advertising. This was not a
  "pro-Palestine" rally. It was a "Down with Israel and
  George
  Bush" rally.

  While the throng was thick with banners, very few of them
  mentioned the Palestine Authority and none - not one
  that I
  saw - mentioned the Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat.
  Instead, most of the messages were condemnations of
  Israel
  and Ariel Sharon. One popular motif was mixing the
  Swastika
  and the Star of David, a gruesome image for anyone but
  the
  most ardent Holocaust denier. And just to make sure the
  point wasn't missed, the crowd repeatedly
  chanted, "Sharon
  and Hitler are the same, the only difference is their
  name."
  There was no doubt as to what the crowd was against: the
  "racist" nation of Israel and the evil government of
  America
  and its terrorist leader, George W. Bush. But what were
  these people for? Did they really support the creation
  of a
  new Arab Muslim nation led by Arafat?

  To find out, I waded into the crowd with my minidisk
  recorder and started asking questions.

  To Amanda from Atlanta in the "Free Speech, Free Media"
  T-shirt, I posed the question: "Which
  nongovernment-controlled Arab newspaper is your
  favorite?"
  When she couldn't answer, I pointed out that there aren't
  any nongovernment-controlled newspapers in the Arab
  Muslim
  world.

  "Are you comfortable supporting the cause of a group of
  people who don't believe in either free speech or a free
  press?"

  "I, uh, really, uh, that's a good question," was the best
  she could do.

  Then I asked the gay-rights advocate with the "From
  Stonewall To Palestine: People Fight Back"
  sign: "Doesn't it
  bother you that virtually all Arab Muslim governments
  outlaw
  homosexuality? That most of the people in this crowd
  think
  you should be stoned to death?"

  "I hadn't really thought about it," he replied.

  And of every woman I met protesting on behalf of a new,
  Arafat-led nation, I asked: "Do you really want to see
  yet
  another Arab Muslim nation where women have few if any
  political rights (Kuwait), are lashed for committing
  adultery (United Arab Emirates) or are the victims of
  female
  genital mutilation (Saudi Arabia)?"

  Vanessa, a liberal feminist from Michigan, answered this
  way: "That's their thing, and I disbelieve [sic] in that,
  but it's not just there. Women everywhere are captized
  [sic]." She went on to tell me that all Americans are
  "captized" too, but she wasn't exactly sure by whom.

  When I asked Amina and Amira, two female Arab students
  from
  George Washington University, they had a novel response:
  They refused to acknowledge that any Arab Muslim nations
  restrict women's rights. I pointed out the obvious case
  of
  Saudi Arabia - where women cannot leave their homes
  without
  permission and can be beaten for showing too much skin in
  public. They all but laughed at me: "Saudi Arabia does
  not
  have a Muslim government," Amira told me.

  So the Saudis are, what - Lutherans?

  As I worked the crowd, I was tailed by a group of Arab
  gentlemen who listened in on several conversations before
  finally confronting me: "Why are you asking these
  questions?"

  I told them I wanted to know if the people waving their
  "free speech/free press/free love/free Mumia" signs
  understood that they were at a rally supporting yet
  another
  oppressive, theocratic, dictatorial regime.

  "That's none of our business," said Khalid, a Moroccan
  living in Massachusetts. "All I want is for the
  Palestinians
  to be free. This is all about freedom." Before I could
  crack, "Then they should move to Israel, the only place
  in
  the Mideast where Palestinians can vote," he interrupted
  again.

  "You know what, America's government isn't the best
  government in the world. Do you like everything your
  government does?"

  "Of course I don't always like my government," I told
  him.
  "But unlike Arafat, when I say so, my American government
  doesn't throw me in jail or kill me. And my
  government-approved Imam doesn't write editorials for
  government-run newspapers urging Muslims to kill Jews."

  "That's not killing Jewish people," Khalid said. "It's
  liberating Palestinians."

  "So, that's what you call it!" I replied.

  The conversation was over. I moved on to another
  strategy. I
  put down my recorder and picked up a large, hand-made
  sign.
  It read: "HEROES FOR PEACE: Gandhi, MLK, Arafat."

  It was, I thought, the perfect sign. It was parodying the
  Palestinian position, but without the obviousness of,
  say,
  "Suicide Bombers for Peace," a sign that might have
  earned
  me a bloody nose.

  I took my insult to Dr. King and the nonviolence
  movement,
  and I marched into the heart of the crowd. I waved it, I
  shook it, I covered the rally from front to back. I
  pointed
  it at black ministers in the crowd and watched them read
  it.
  I stood next to "Down with Israel" signs and held it
  high.
  And I waited.

  When would someone challenge this obnoxious argument?
  After
  half an hour, someone finally spoke up. A plump, middle-
  aged
  liberal with her "Visualize World Peace" button read my
  sign, then looked up at me and smiled. "God bless you,"
  she
  said.

  No, I thought as I walked dejectedly back to my car, God
  help us. We're gonna need it.