Re: [yoshimi-user] bugfix update, 0.060.7-2

  • From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@xxxxxx>
  • To: cal <cal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:12:12 +0100

Am Montag 21 März 2011, 17:37:57 schrieb cal:

On 21/03/11 19:21, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
[ ... ]

I tested it and it works well for me.

My repository for openSUSE already has this version :)

That's both a little bit exciting and a little bit frightening. Given the
erratic quality
standards of the stuff I've been pushing out it's a little bit frightening
when significant
packagers follow them closely. It's ok though, I'll get over it. We're all
adults here.

Uh you really think so? ;) Anyway I really didn't want to scare you, and I
definitely should have tested, or informed myself better, before updating the
0.058 package to 0.060.1 in the first place... in case a severe bug would show
up, I'd always be able to go back to a stable release version.

Also I don't think I am a "significant" packager, I just keep that repository
of a few music software packages I like and can't find somewhere else for my
distro. I have no clue at all how many people use it, AFAIK there is no way to
obtain download statistics on repo basis... given the amount of feedback I
receive, that number must be next to zero...

Nevertheless I'll try to keep in mind to be a bit more cautious before
updating, in the future.

Just a minor question regarding packaging:
Cal, would it be feasible to use a different scheme for numbering test
release tarballs? [ ... ]

You're right, I've never done the numbering well or even consistently, so my
sincere apologies
on that count. I quite like the kernel's "release candidate" numbering, but
too many of the
yoshimi increments can hardly be considered release candidates. If it's just
the "-" that's
problematic, would yoshimi-0.060.8pre1, yoshimi-0.060.8pre2,
yoshimi-0.060.8pre3,... work?
Not so much release candidates, more like "pre-release" increments.

Yes that would work, it is just the slash that gets in the way. There would be
ways to work around I guess,
with some rpm specfile wizardry, but honestly I'd prefer to spend my time on
other things... which way you decide to do it is up to you of course, it's just
that keeping it consistent would save me some work.

Thanks

Edgar