Re: [yoshimi-user] Reunion Foundation Work

  • From: Will J Godfrey <WillGodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:03:22 +0100

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 16:06:46 -0400
Mark McCurry <mark.d.mccurry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cal changed the way the 'vu' metering was done to try to be more realistic
and
also more closely match other implementations. Had this been noticed?
Never noticed this when experimenting with yoshimi.
I guess I will need to look out for this in the SynthEngine/Part code.

Also he changed the way panning was done to a 'constant power' form. In
Zyn. if
you pan an instrument away from the centre it gets quieter. In Yoshi it
stays
essentially the same volume, which is much more useful.
This feature has been added to effects in zyn and will be added when I
hit the main synthesis code as well.

I have gotten through most of the minor diffs in Effects.
There are a few sections that have been rewritten, which I should be
able to send out a summary email detailing.
Outside of that, I am changing the globals SOUND_BUFFER_SIZE,
SAMPLE_RATE, and similar globals to be members of the top level driver
class Master/SynthEngine as per yoshimi convention.
This should remove a consistent diff between the two code bases.

If anyone wants to help out, one large difference that exists between
all files is the copyright statement.
In yoshimi, the license was changed from the original gnu gpl style as
recommended, which (along with indent differences) makes that section
show up on any file diff between projects.
In theory, a multiline regular expression should do the best job at
eliminating this difference, but I have not had the time to work out
the details.

--Mark

Not really sure what the solution is here. I've just looked at samples of files
from both projects and it seems there are significant and relevant changes to
the content as well as the layout.

What exactly should the end result be?

I'm wondering if it would be simpler (albeit tedious) to edit the files by hand.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk