XYWRITE PORTABLE and CDD

  • From: Fred Weiner <fw1948@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: XyWrite List <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:05:21 -0700

I'm writing in reference to Carl's recent (last October, here:
http://66.114.70.144/xywrite/2010/msg00023.htm) Xywrite Portable
installation. I'm about to travel and will load it onto a memory stick, and
I'm running into trouble trying to make the CDD section in its xywwweb.reg
file portable. If a listing in the CDD section is hard coded to my own set
up, say, like this:

[CDD]
DOCS=C:\XYWRITE\DOCS
. . . etc

it would not be portable unless the computer I'm working on had the same
drive letter for the DOCS directory, would it? When I try

DOCS=<<VA$DR>>\DOCS

which I thought would point to editor's directory, I get the error message,
"Bad dir c:\xywrite\editor.exe." No luck either with

DOCS=<<PV01>>\DOCS

which, from startup.int, holds the current directory of editor, or so I
thought. Clearly my primitive understanding of how things work is not up to
task. Wondering if any of you have suggestions. Carl, you'd solve this in a
trice, if you're willing . . .

FW.