[x500standard] Re: relying party or privilege verifier

  • From: DP-Security-Consulting <dp.sec.consulting@xxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 18:10:02 +0200

Hi David,

I am in favor or keeping as much as possible a clean separation between an AC and a PKC. So the two current definitions are appropriate and should not be changed, which means that
I do not support the proposal from David.

I believe that Erik is right when for the following sentence:

in the first deployment model, the DS cannot
check and therelying party  will have to check that delegation was

he states:

   I assume that it should say "privilege verifier" instead of "relying
   party".

Denis

Hi Erik

the definitions from the standard are as follows

privilege verifier:  An entity verifying certificates against a
privilege policy.

relying party:  A user or agent that relies on the data in a certificate
in making decisions.

It does not take too much inference to work out that a privilege
verifier is a subtype of relying party. But we could add a clarifying
sentence to the definition of privilege verifier to say "A type or
component of a relying party".

regards

David

On 09/04/2014 08:07, Erik Andersen wrote:
Hi David,

It is mostly a philosophical question whether privilege verifier is part of
relying party. I do not believe it is stated anywhere in X.509. I believe an
innocent reader will be confused when the whole section talks about
privilege verifier and suddenly see relying party as  synonym.
Regards,

Erik