[x500standard] Re: relying party or privilege verifier

  • From: "Erik Andersen" <era@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SG17-Q11" <T13sg17q11@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 13:24:24 +0200

Hi David,

I do not have any problem with what your are saying. I just want to see if
others agree or disagree with you.

Beside wanting to have a consistent text in X.509, ACs seems to have some
interests. IEC TC 57/WG15 has issued a standard IEC 62351-8 on Role-based
Access Control (RBAC) with different profiles, where one  is using
public-key certificates with a home-grown Role attribute in a home-grown
extension. I am not sure I like it. The other one is using attribute
certificates in a rather incomplete specification. I do not have the
published document, but is trying to get hold of it without paying a
fortune.

RBAC seems to play an important role in smart grid security. ACs may be
useful after all.

Regards,

Erik