[Wittrs] some notes from the Silicon Valley

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wittgenstein's Aftermath" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 22:02:36 -0800

For openers, the short video clip below serves as a good reminder that
film has its tropes, its language.  Semiology.  These show their
family resemblance to one another, which might help give another take
on "language game" as well:

http://youtu.be/Vxq9yj2pVWk  (picked up on Twitter from Maria
Droujkova of mathfuture etc.)

Here I am in the heart of Silicon Valley.  We comprised it today, an
army of some 2500 encamped at a Hyatt Regency.  Some years ago I
delivered a workshop on changes in education at a similar Hyatt near
O'Hare airport in Chicago.  I'm recognizing a lot of the people.  What
we have in common is the Python computer language. [0]

We were talking before about Richard Stallman as an important
philosopher, I'd say ethicist and logician.  I'm carving out a niche
wherein I can say I'm not that impressed with the need for
mathematical foundations, or foundations in general in the sense of
Russell / Frege, but that doesn't mean I'm a foe of logic.  On the
contrary, I might characterize myself as a logic teacher, "mechanized
division".

This is a different spin than is usually given to analytic
philosophers in the wake of Wittgenstein.  They're not supposed to be
"hardware / software engineers" so much as "pure" mathematicians.

The (Over)interpreting Wittgenstein book confirmed my own assessment
that those steeped in math were uniquely vicious towards
Wittgenstein.[1]

Kirby

[0]  http://blog.oreillyschool.com/2012/03/us-pycon-2012.html  (my
article on Pycon 2012)