[Wittrs] Re: reflections on the grammar of pictures pt.1

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:44:48 -0000

JRS,

> You sure ask a lot of questions!

Indeed.

> Is it the influence of Wittgenstein that causes you to
> avoid proposing any general answers?

That and (indirectly due to such influence) a somewhat good nose for where such
proposals break down.

In the case of the question you quoted, I wanted the reader to consider the
temptation to speak that way, to consider the ways that it is tempting.  But
then to also consider that such a way of speaking would be quite peculiar and
potentially quite misleading.

But still, awakening to that temptation does reveal something of how we view
paintings as opposed to photographs.

> I don't suppose there is a general answer...but I think we can cobble
> together..."grammars" if you prefer...of the
> issues.

Certainly, we can examine the criteria we apply in various cases, yes.

I'll comment more on the example from The Boss when I reply to Sean.

Thanks.

JPDeMouy