[Wittrs] Re: Who denies the synthetic a priori?

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:13:47 -0000

JRS,

I'm not sure why my response didn't go through but I completely concur that the
Vienna Circle and Carnap in America are the likely suspects.

I also noted that I recall Rorty's reading of the situation here being biased
toward a Quinean interpretation of things, such that the attack on the
analytic-synthetic distinction justified the naturalistic turn.  The view is
very much predicated on a Carnapian view of Analytic Philosophy and ignores the
fact that Wittgenstein and OLP didn't even accept the terms in which those
issues were framed let alone the thesis itself.

JPDeMouy