[Wittrs] re AI (excerpts from Math Forum)

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 01:33:01 -0700

"""
I think AI is 98% bunk and 2% clever marketing.
"""
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7158285&tstart=0
<http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7158285&tstart=0>

"""
Reading today's Wall Street Journal, I see an article lining up optimists
versus pessimists regarding whether these new cyber-technologies are
improving thinking or destroying it (all seem to agree it's changing, for
better or worse).

That's more the kind of research that interests me, not how to scrape
together enough computer chips to create some "consciousness
in a bottle", after which humans will want to upload their own personas
and live forever as Wall*ee-the-robots (you'd be surprised how many
philosophy lists are haunted by such fantasies -- another sign of
civilizational decadence in my view (so I must be a pessimist?)).
"""
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7160153&tstart=0

Kirby