[Wittrs] Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: 1.12; 1.13; 1.2 & 1.21

  • From: Ron Allen <wavelets@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:08:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Martin:
Well, you seem to want to draw the discussion away from Wittgenstein and the
TLP. My emphatic claims were not about me but about W and his points in his
early work. I don't see any basis for calling him an idealist here. I could see
calling Berkeley, or Schelling, or Fichte, or Hegel an idealist, or Whitehead,
but not Wittgenstein. Not in the TLP. Rationalist? Yes. Idealist? No.
But, it any case, I'm not opposed to metaphysics. It seems like everyone is
just itching to call someone a logical positivist. Kant claimed that we must
have God because without Him we would have no morality. So, his efforts at
dismissing metaphysics didn't quite clear the whole field.
If the TLP was truly the nonsense that Diamond asserts it to be, then it would
not deserve scholarly articles asserting it to be nonsense. There must be,
therefore, some intellectually motivating core within the TLP.
The propositions of the TLP do not have sense, because they are not built up
from logical operations from elemental propositions about states of affairs. It
is an equivocation to say that they are nonsense because of that.
I don't know how many different kinds of statements there can be. I haven't yet
seen all the statements that are possible, so I can't begin to put them into
bins, let alone determine how many bins should be set aside for the universe's
propositions.
The history of science is an example of logical atomism at work. In designing a
philosophical theory, it would be better to proceed from how something works
rather than from how you, or I, or Wittgenstein might think it should work. So,
epistemology doesn't have an exclusive hold on philosophy; there is a spot for
methodology too.
I'll try to continue this later.
Thanks!--Ron