Re: [Wittrs] Religion, Wittgenstein and Magic

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 06:57:09 -0700

I read the thing Lief Carter wrote about marriage.

He asks for or suggests there should be some rational basis for that
language game (the language game of marriage).  Why?

How is soccer rational, or chess?  Would you argue that because
knights move in such a funny way, pawns should be able to as well?

"It's irrational that the King should suffering being 'in check' but
the other pieces don't have to put up with that."  We would regard
that is irrational thinking.

Why can only two people marry each other in the EU and not up to five?
 Why would there be a limit at five?  Why not?  Language games are
like that.

The idea that rationality is, needs to be, or should be, at the basis
of cultural practices is not borne out by experience, in my
experience.

Kirby