[Wittrs] Religion, Wittgenstein and Magic

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LAWCOURT-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LAWCOURT-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wittgenstein's Aftermath <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:08:53 -0700 (PDT)

I write this mail in response to Lief Carter, concerning a tangent that emerged
in another discussion. Lief Carter says of the thoughts Wittgenstein had about
the Resurrection while on a ship to Bergen in 1937, that "it is magical to
believe, with Wittgenstein, in Christ's immortality."

Wittgenstein was NOT expressing a belief in "magic," where the sense of that
word means a kind of hocus-pocus (rabbit in the hat). It is precisely this kind
of atheistic thinking, popularized by Bill Maher  -- and, back then, Bertrand
Russell -- that would have unnerved Wittgenstein to no end, because he regarded
it as being so shallow.

The grammar of religious claims is predicated upon the unknown; it isn't
predicated upon "magic." Claims of magic can be tested by science; religious
claims cannot. For all that the God stories do is change with the state of
knowledge; they don't ever get "refuted." This is because the stories are
specifically designed for things that are not yet known. In this sense, judging
a god story is no different than judging literature -- one does not ask for
proof; one asks for what makes for a good ending (aesthetic).

It is in this context that Wittgenstein wrote about the Resurrection. Having
seen the failings of human character and the despicable nature of the human
race, Wittgenstein could not bear to think of a story about humans that
was solely placed in their own hands. It was in this context that he pondered
the Christian God story (a more complete quote of which I place at the bottom
of the mail).

Finally, Wittgenstein never says he "believes" in resurrection, as though it
were a kind of magical event. In fact, he says that one could only properly
understand the whole idea by loving something else. His idea is that one must
love the god story, just as one might love an ending in a movie. You say to
yourself: "I hated that ending." Why? It is for the same kind of reason that
one says I trust this God story, because I want this ending for the story of
humanity. This is the story of human ending that I enamor. It isn't an
endorsement of magic; it's an aesthetical endoresment. One really wants to say:
it is a connoisseur judgment.

Also, the whole magic-science thing is an old grammar that has long unfolded
upon itself. Let's suppose that, one day, science learns that consciousness and
souls can be explained with higher-order physics, and that Artificial
Intelligence can replicate consciousness. This doesn't mean that God is
relegated to the status of hocus-pocus; it merely means that the supernatural
now has another explanation (story). So the work of God becomes understood as a
particular kind of higher-realm physics. I ask you: what is more phantasmal:
Harry Potter's wand or Jim Kirk's phaser? I wonder if it is magic to Lief
Carter to believe that terrestrials exist and that the planet has been visited
by them before? Which is worse: beliefs about the outer world (terrestrials) or
beliefs about the netherworld?  And if both are rejected, aren't we left in the
straight jacket of logical positivism? What do you do: get rid of all
metaphysics? How is that even possible?

My point is that the equation of religion with hocus-pocus isn't well thought
out, and neither is the assessment of Wittgenstein's views about religion.

QUOTES FROM WITTGENSTEIN [allcaps in place of italics]

"Religious faith and substitution are quite different. One of them results from
FEAR and is a sort of false science. The other is a trusting." 1948, CV p. 72.

"Life can educate one to a belief in God. And EXPERIENCES too are what bring
this about; but I don't mean visions and other forms of sense experience which
show us the 'existence of this being,' but, e.g., sufferings of various sorts.
These neither show us God in the way a sense impression shows us an object, nor
do they give rise to CONJECTURES about him. [But] experiences, thoughts, --
life can force this concept on us.
So perhaps it is similar to the concept of 'object.' (1950, CV p. 86)

"An honest religious thinker is like a tightrope walker. he almost looks as
though he were walking on nothing but air. His support is the slenderest
imaginable. And yet it really is possible to walk on it. ( 1948, CV, p. 73)

"I read: 'No man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.' -- And
it is true: I cannot call him LORD; because that says nothing to me. I could
call him 'the paragon,' 'God' even -- or rather, I can understand it when he is
called thus; but I cannot utter the word 'Lord' with meaning. BECAUSE I DO NOT
BELIEVE that he will come to judge me; because THAT  says nothing to me. And it
could say something to me, only if I lived COMPLETELY differently.
    What inclines even me to believe in Christ's Resurrection? It is as though
I play with the thought. -- If he did not rise from the dead, then he
decomposed in the grave like any other man. He is DEAD AND DECOMPOSED. In that
case he is a teacher like any other and can no longer HELP; and once more we
are orphaned and alone. So we have to content ourselves with wisdom and
speculation. We are in a sort of hell where we can do nothing but dream, roofed
in, as it were, and cut off from heaven. But if I am to be REALLY saved, --
what I need is CERTAINTY -- not wisdom, dreams or speculation -- and this
certainty is faith. And faith is faith in what is needed by my HEART, my SOUL,
not my speculative intelligence. For it is my soul with its passions, as it
were with its flesh and blood, that has to be saved, not my abstract mind.
Perhaps we can say: Only LOVE can believe in Resurrection. Or: it is LOVE that
believes the Resurrection.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor