Re: [Wittrs] On Sense and Grammar

  • From: Han Geurdes <han.geurdes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:19:04 +0200

Hi Sean,
Individuals do not have ideosyncratic grammars but if they do not have
individual grammars your grandmother-scientist example would not be
possible. It is not nilly-willy but how would a sensible scientist mix the
discourse of grandmother with his own ?

The scientist must share at least the 'we-scientist' grammar and the
'grandmom-and-I' grammar. It is not poor thinking -btw that is an unnoted
arrogance- for we do not have any proof except the words of you and
Wittgenstein that this is the true state of affairs in metaphysical twists
and turns.

What is the role of language for Wittgensteins grammar itself ? Is it yet
another 'verhexung' of language of the mind. Unpuzzeling the puzzle is not a
proof that the puzzle did not exist. It can also be perceived as another
view of the puzzle. If not then there is the necessity of metaphysics and it
becomes quite difficult to follow the path of grammar crossing the barrier
of itself when that barrier as such is also 'ein verhexung' of the mind.

PI is fascinating as a method but how to avoid metaphysical implications if
it was the aim to get rid of the metaphysical questions and puzzles in the
first place?

What have we gained?

Han