[Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein on Religious Belief

  • From: "void" <rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 03:45:31 -0000

> Here is what I want to say to you. If beliefs are insightful -- if the mind
> is at its best -- there are no means by which its value can be dimmed. In
> this sense, all ideas are a kind of aesthetic.  Wittgenstein could see the
> beauty in some of the God stories as well as the senselessness. Just as he
> could in the stories of science.
>
> The only thing Wittgenstein was ever against was the inability of others
> to see what causes or governed senselessness -- in short, the challenges of
> their own insight, and the failure to properly "live" ideas.
>
> Regards.
> ,
> Sean Wilson, Esq.
> Assistant Professor
> Wright State University
> Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
> SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
> Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
>
>Dear sir
I like the way you present the topic.As you well aware either theism or atheism
fall under the catalog of Belief system.As you say if belief is insightful for
aesthetic sense there is no harm but it may be more than that.

>       We tend to internalize the beliefs of the people around us during
> childhood. Albert Einstein is often quoted as having said that "Common sense
> is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Political beliefs
> depend most strongly on the political beliefs most common in the community
> where we live.[4] Most individuals believe the religion they were taught in
> childhood. [5]
People may adopt the beliefs of a charismatic leader, even if those beliefs fly
in the face of all previous beliefs, and produce actions that are clearly not
in their own self-interest.[6] Is belief voluntary? Rational individuals need
to reconcile their direct reality with any said belief; therefore, if belief is
not present or possible, it reflects the fact that contradictions were
necessarily overcome using cognitive dissonance.
The primary thrust of the advertising industry is that repetition forms
beliefs, as do associations of beliefs with images of sex, love, and other
strong positive emotions.[7]
Physical trauma, especially to the head, can radically alter a person's
beliefs.[8]
However, even educated people, well aware of the process by which beliefs form,
still strongly cling to their beliefs, and act on those beliefs even against
their own self-interest.

thank you sir
sekhar