[Wittrs] Linguistic Behavior: Vague Allegations of Fallacy

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:45:04 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Cayuse wrote:

>>>The invalid step is that which goes from 1 to 2:
>>>1. There is experience
>>>2. therefore there is an experiencer.

>>I present an argument that consists of three steps (one of which has
>>three substeps). you take the first step and ignore the rest
>>(including the last step).

>Your analysis fails even before the first step -- you implicitly assume
>an "either/or" scenario for the existence of a nonsensical item. I
>don't see much point in continuing to repeatedly tell you this. Perhaps
>we should just agree to disagree and call it a day.

in ordinary discourse, those who are about to agree to disagree can
often agree as to what they disagree about; but, that is not the case
here. you seriously distort the statement of our disagreement.

* you've misrepresented which argument is under consideration.

I asked you specifically [11/26/2009 06:47 AM]: "what specifically is
the flaw that makes the argument 'there is experience of an afterimage;
therefore, something is experiencing that afterimage' unsound?"

you replied [11/26/2009 11:52 AM]: "The fallacy is called a 'non
sequitur'".

however, when the argument was presented in a more granular (more
detailed) way, you were simply unable to identify any specific flaw in
the argument.

so instead you resorted to making an unsupported claim that there is a
flaw in some other argument.

even if you could support that claim, it would still be irrelevant to
the argument I presented.

and, now, for the moment of truth --- assuming we can get a sincere and
relevant reply from you. we don't have to employ the conclusion of this
argument in some further inquiry before finding something unacceptable
to you. I suspect that you disagree with the intermediate conclusion
reached thus far: if there is an experience; then, there is something
that is experiencing it.

is that true?

if so; then, identify the non sequitur you claim you see in the argument
as presented in my post [11/27/2009 04:30 AM].

otherwise, admit that the argument as presented thus far is sound.

Joe