[Wittrs] Re: What is Analysis?

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 01:32:05 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> Let me try a different explanation.  I am saying that order
> is an intellectual construct.  Order is not made of matter.
> And therefore it is not human independent.

I'm not certain how strong an argument that is.

If all the universe is 4-dimensional space-time worms, then
temporal order might well be just as material as is height.
Is "height" material?  Well, any material has a height, ...
and a temporal measurement in comparison to others, similarly.

--

In general, I'm much more with Stuart on this, as far as I've
lurked on your discussion.  More to the point, as I have hinted,

If it's not "there", then it's something we (the agent) must
do, to be an agent, I suppose is your thinking.  But I don't grant
that an agent can indubitably measure the height of what is "there",
the agent's construction is all he/she/it can have, so I can't see
worrying about the ontological status of "order".

Insofar as my computational ontology needs order for its own
function (as I suppose any ontology is going to), I'm perfectly
happy to stipulate it as an assumption, and let that fall where
it may, should anyone find a reason to care.

In summary, we might as well grant that order is "really" out there,
if it simplifies the discussion.  It probably "really" really *is*
out there, anyway, whether ultimately out of reach or not.

Josh