[Wittrs] To Be Or Not To Become ... A Lobotomite

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 10:48:51 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>where did he advocate limiting your language to limit your world?

>Wittgenstein is on record, in the foreword to the Philosophical
>Investigations, as saying that the author of the TLP (himself at an
>earlier stage of his career) was wrong. In his later career and,
>especially, in the later book, Wittgenstein went beyond the TLP and
>aimed to correct things he had thought earlier about language, about
>the way we think about language, about the way language works in the
>world, etc. -- SWM

that LW later went beyong the TLP is true ... as a vague generality.

but, since we are talking specifically about TLP 5.6, the question is
whether LW ever transcended this particular insight. can you cite a
passage from PI (or any work subsequent to TLP) where (according to you)
LW retracts, discredits or disowns TLP 5.6?

Joe