[Wittrs] Re: Teaching Wittgenstein

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 04:32:49 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> responding to message 6709

> Sean:
> Putting 1 and 2 together, we are left with a choice. Teach the
> class as a history course -- something like a documentary. Or,
> don't teach ABOUT it -- don't report on it as a journalist would --
> but, rather, teach it as a set of thinking orientations that the
> students themselves participate in, as SKILLS.

Granted, I am not a philosopher.  So what would I know.  But I  wouldn't
be doing either of those.  I would be discussing in class  what were the
kinds of problems being addressed, and what are some  of the
difficulties involved in those problem.  But I would not  be trying to
teach the students how to think or what to think.  I would be teaching
the problem domain, and encouraging them to  think creatively about it.

Regards,
Neil