[Wittrs] Stuart's Allegation of Dualism is SAD but Irrelevant

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 17:21:39 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM wrote:

>>>Read my argument again for why Searle is a dualist.

>>now that the logical validity of the CRA has been demonstrated, we
>>can move on to the evaluation of Searle's argument that the third
>>axiom is true and the evaluation of your critique of it; and, in
>>this context, your opinions as to whether Searle is a dualist are
>>completely irrelevant; because, they constitute an ad hominem
>>argument.

>First I have never used "dualism" as a pejorative.

the issue is whether the third axiom is true.

your opinion as to whether 'dualism' is a pejorative term is irrelevant
because the allegation of dualism is itself irrelevant.

suppose Searle had a mood fluctuation and became a catholic (or a
protestant, or a jew or a buddhist or an atheist or ... whatever). would
having any of any of those beliefs affect the truth value of the third
axiom?

no? then, irregardless of whether it is pejorative to say that someone
has one of these beliefs, the argument that the third axiom is false
because Searle (or someone else) has one of these beliefs is fallacious
--- its an ad hominem argument.

suppose Searle had a really serious mood fluctuation and joined a voodoo
cult. Is that going to alter the truth value of the third axiom?

no? well, suppose Searle joined a fertility cult and participated in
bizarre sexual rituals by the light of the full moon during the festival
of Beltane to promote crop fertility. would *that* alter the truth value
of the third axiom?

no? well, why should I believe that of all the belief systems in all the
world, interactive substance dualism is the only one that has the power
to alter the truth value of the third axiom?

Joe