[Wittrs] Re: Stuart on the unity of self

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:52:06 -0000

Stuart> writes:

> Don't you see that to describe the world in terms of "physical chunks" is to
> be
trapped in this very dualistic picture ("physical chunks" vs. something else)?

Or not.

>In fact, modern physics is not premised on explaining the universe in terms of
"physical chunks" at all. Modern physics includes notions of energy and quantum
fields and so forth.

Types of physical chunks then, some just more airier and fairier, including
relative vacuums and tight holes, etc..

> It is not a science of gazillions of atoms qua micro
"physical chunks" flying around in empty space. But that it isn't doesn't imply
that what we know of as consciousness is something beyond physics at all.

Nice!

Cheers,
Budd