[Wittrs] Re: SWM on causation

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:15:11 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > How can your brain cause you to do this or that?
>
> I'm puzzled by the question. You insist brains cause consciousness. And
> being conscious means doing this or that. If the brain causes
> consciousness, it causes doing this or that.

Different senses of "cause". See past discussions.

> > To think about turning, as in a wheel turning, is not to think about
> two entities: the wheel and the turning.
>
> Right! It is to think about one entity in two positions. But
> consciousness is not any position of brain!

No, it's to think about the changing of positions in a certain way. Is the
changing itself an entity? Of course not. But it's real AND it's physical no
less than the thing that has turned.

> > This is why I keep noting that you are thinking of consciousness as if
> it were entity-like ... But it is your picture, not mine.
>
> Which makes your position quite mysterious. You start with a literal
> thing, a brain, and then it causes something non-literal, an abstraction
> that we attribute to people.

Only mysterious to you who thinks that if there is an X that causes a Y then
the Y must be just like the X.

> Can a literal thing cause an abstraction attribution? When someone says
> "the morning sun causes me to have a good day" is it like saying "the
> morning sun causes the birds to chirp?"
>
> bruce

Is saying either "the morning sun causes me to have a good day" or "the morning
sun causes the bird to chirp" an "abstraction" or an "atribution of an
abstraction"? Do statements with meanings really lack them because meanings
aren't entities?