[Wittrs] Re: SWM on causation

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 05:28:26 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> In  yourself or in others? In yourself it would seem odd to say 'I see
signs I am waking up'. What signs?

Quite commonly people wonder whether they are still asleep.

> How can your brain cause you to do this or that?

Isn't that your point of view. The brain causes consciousness....please
clarify

> To think about turning, as in a wheel turning, is not to think about
two entities:

I don't know what entities are but a wheel at rest or turning is
physical

> you cannot shake this picture that you interpret everything I say
about this as invoking the idea of mind as entity!

Because a physical account requires a physical medium in which the
causation occurs. You can't start with a physical thing and claim it
causes something physical but this physical is not in the same medium.
In fact, it is nothing.

> The question, of course, is what are the implications of what you have
just said for understanding
> what we mean by consciousness and what can bring it about and what
sustains it?

I don't see any mystery in "what we mean by consciousness." The mystery
begins when one wants to reduce it to the physical. What brings about
consciousness is being born, which in every case requires the minimum of
a body and what sustains it is living well. The latter appears to be
very difficult these days.

bruce