[Wittrs] My Wittgenstein Course, Online

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittgenstein's Aftermath <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:49:15 -0700 (PDT)

... looks like I'm going to be doing something online with my Wittgenstein
course. Current plans are to have the graduate students join wittrs and offer
something. Also will put the audio lectures up. Maybe even have a way for
members of wittrs to participate in the class, if they want (haven't figured
that one out).

The class is going to be a bit "rough." I don't have anything close to a rigid
battle plan. It's going to be very original and a little chaotic. It meets
weekly. I'll prepare a lecture topic that exposes the students to some key
Wittgensteinian notion and its significance. We'll also spend a fraction of the
time going over the texts (Monk, Malcolm).

The point of the course is to show students how to think Wittgensteinian, and
then to show a contrast with how intellectual culture worked before and after
this intrusion. A side point is to show Wittgenstein's life (biography). If it
works right, students should be exposed to at least two basic cognitive skills:
(a) the seeing of a meta-aspect that, heretofore, was shielded from them; and
(b) different kind of thinking skills -- the power that insight has over
debate. That's really is what the course is  about: training in higher-order
thinking; how to be insightful. But you'll note that it has nothing to do with
"reasoning courses," like symbolic logic or debate classes. Nothing at all to
do with that sort of thing (really, the opposite).

A person who fully absorbed the course would learn to see the world not for its
nonsense, but its confusion. For this is what Wittgensteinians are at their
core: a doctor of confusion. When one properly wields these skills, one can
diagnose it and prescribe something to relieve it, though the remedy can't work
without both the patient's election and a certain amount of capacity.

Be interesting if there could be some sort of audio chat session where, in
parts of the class, wittrs members could join in. Or, could discuss in here (i
don't know). Would really love to have a good consideration of the core and
central issues that make a great deal of social-club philosophy irrelevant (on
the merits), and that also should quiet many discussions in hundreds of other
disciplines.

Class meets once a week, at night, so it could be convenient for us.

Stay tuned.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor