[Wittrs] Re: Consciousness can collapse a wave function

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 05:42:12 -0000

> Dennett's account of consciousness can not explain how consciousness
can
> collapse a wave function

I trust you wrote the above Joe, in a larger context, which I hope we
can set aside so as to help understand just what the above claim is
asserting. It would help me if we discussed this apart from Dennett's
account.

My understanding is that a wave function can be described in physical
terms. Consciousness is typically not described physically. So if C can
collapse a wave function, then something not physical is causing a
change physically. Is that more or less correct?

Is this true? If one holds that every conscious act is accompanied by a
physical change (in the brain) then one could claim that something
physical was collapsing the wave function.

Thanks,

bruce